I'll read more of this in a bit, I want to make sure I fully digest it
before commenting on the rest, but this block here deserves a few words:

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 9:54 AM Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> After putting the above together it seems to
> me that the two main areas of tradeoff are, 1. Is it worth giving up local
> latencies to get full global consistency?  Most LWT use cases use
> LOCAL_SERIAL.

Most LWT use cases use LOCAL_SERIAL because the difference in latency is
huge today (given the 4x RTTs) AND almost none of the users actually
understand how cassandra replication or consistency works, so they
misunderstand the guarantees provided by the choice they make. When
informed of the actual tradeoffs, a LOT of those users switch to SERIAL.