Personally, I would prefer a transition period in which the new feature is not enabled by default. This not only makes version upgrading easier, it also allows the user to stay on the old behaviour if they experience any issue with the new feature (e.g.: bugs in the new feature, or edge use cases / 3rd party tools depending on the old behaviour) until the issue is resolved.