I think a CEP is wise (or a more thorough design document on the
ticket) given how easy it is to do security incorrectly and key
management, rotation and key derivation are not particularly
straightforward.

I am curious what advantage Cassandra implementing encryption has over
asking the user to use an encrypted filesystem or disks instead where
the kernel or device will undoubtedly be able to do the crypto more
efficiently than we can in the JVM and we wouldn't have to further
complicate the storage engine? I think the state of encrypted
filesystems (e.g. LUKS on Linux) is significantly more user friendly
these days than it was in 2015 when that ticket was created.

If the application has existing exfiltration paths (e.g. backups) it's
probably better to encrypt/decrypt in the backup/restore process via
something extremely fast (and modern) like piping through age [1]
isn't it?

[1] https://github.com/FiloSottile/age

-Joey