Although I like in-jvm DTests for many scenarios, I can see that they do
not test the production code as it is. They use a separate
implementation of instance initialization and thus they test the test
server rather than the real node. Other than that, it can be problematic to
test upgrades when the starting version must run with a different Java
version than the end release. One more thing I've been observing sometimes
is high consumption of metaspace, which does not seem to be cleaned after
individual test cases. Given each started instance uses a dedicated class
loader there is some amount of trash left and when there are a couple of
multi-node test cases in a single test class, it sometimes happens that the
test fail with out of memory in metaspace error.

Thanks,
Jacek