Hi all,

apologies for writing to this mailing list but I tried the user mailing
list, 2 slack channels, reddit and 3 discord channels and got horrible and
confused answers.

I'm working on a school project trying to reproduce the tokens distribution
algorithm described in the dynamo db paper. All I want to build is a
cluster where nodes can join/leave managing vnodes distribution just like
in Cassandra (I don't care about r/w, replication,....)

I believe I understand how everything works without vnodes. But everything
stops making sense when introducing vnodes. For example, when a new node
joins a cluster
new vnodes need to be created. Why adding vnodes does not create a massive
redistribution of data in the cluster? afterall, adding vnodes means that
every vnode in the cluster has to "give up" some data to other vnodes in
order to keep a balanced load across the cluster.

>From the documentation it seems like only the portion of the ring
associated with the node should soffer this redistribution but why does a
node have a portion of the partition ring associated with it when the
vnodes stored on the node may be from any portion of the ring?

As you can see, I'm quite confused! I understand that to give me a full
answer may take you too much time but if you could just point me in the
right direction, tell me where should I look in the source code, or share
some links (I've already read anything on the apache
website/datastax.....Ive even read riak documentation trying to find clues)
that would be amazing!

Thanks a lot for your time and keep up the great work, I love Cassandra!
Norman