Sorry for the week delay; gave us some more time to grind away on 4.1!

[Housekeeping]
Congrats Jacek Lewandowski on being voted in as a committer on the project!

After years of service in the role of PMC Chair, Nate McCall has stepped down
from the role. This role most often does its work behind the scenes, liaising
between the PMC and the Apache Foundation, and I think it's important to shed
light on that once in awhile and let you know how much we all appreciate your
hard work in the role Nate. So: thanks!

The PMC voted and chose Mick Semb Wever as the new PMC Chair - for any of you
who haven't had the pleasure of working with him yet, he's a delight. :)
Looking forward to working with you further mck.

For context on the role, from Paulo's announcement email about this to the dev
list:
The chair is an administrative position that interfaces with the Apache
Software Foundation Board, by submitting regular reports about project status
and health. Read more about the PMC chair role on Apache projects:
- https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#pmc
- https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#pmc-chair
- https://www.apache.org/foundation/faq.html#why-are-PMC-chairs-officers

Of note, many projects change the pmc chair on a regular cadence (yearly, etc)
so more members on the project can get exposure to the foundation and the
quarterly reporting on community and project health.

Ok, so how's 4.1 looking?
First, active test failures: https://butler.cassandra.apache.org/#/

We're down to ~5 on 4.1. If we take a look at the top level kanban we have 15
tickets blocking 4.1 beta and 2 blocking RC
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=484&quickFilter=2455

Of those, we only have 5 issues blocking the beta that are unassigned:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=484&quickFilter=2455&quickFilter=2160

Thanks everyone for the continued hard work; we'll take a look at the other
branches in a bit when we cover CI.

[New Contributors Getting Started]
You know those 5 issues blocking the beta that are unassigned? :) Look for test
failures and run with them!

To give a bit more guidance, here's an explanation of various types of
contribution: https://cassandra.apache.org/_/community.html#how-to-contribute
An overview of the C* architecture:
https://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/cassandra/architecture/overview.html
And here's our getting started contributing guide:
https://cassandra.apache.org/_/development/index.html
We hang out in #cassandra-dev on https://the-asf.slack.com, and you can ping
the @cassandra_mentors alias to reach 13 of us who have volunteered to mentor
new contributors on the project. Come hang out!

[Dev list Digest]
https://lists.apache.org/list?dev@cassandra.apache.org:lte=3w:
Covering 3 weeks on the dev list this round instead of our regular 2.

The status update from 6-14 discussion around what qualifies as breaking
changes drew to a close; the conclusion appears to be that our APIs are pretty
easy to infer and that the shortcoming historically has been the lack of
documentation around those heuristics: "If it’s a part of our UX it’s probably
something we should maintain backwards compatibility for.  If it’s part of our
internal codebase, probably not. The only two “public” APIs we have inside the
codebase that I’m aware of are triggers and secondary indexes, and these are
provided with limited warranty and an expectation of technical sophistication
for their users." Since an API breaking change pushes us from a .x to an X.0
release (i.e. Major vs. Minor), we bring discussions to the dev ML about
changing APIs and necessitating a new major release.

We converged on a syntax for multi-key transactions:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/zf1zr2mg1wxb0j5ydc23jncbgojfp6qz. Abe had one
outstanding question that I didn't see addressed on the thread but we can cover
on the JIRA when it opens (if that JIRA is already open and I missed that,
sorry about that; ping the thread here Blake ;))

We continue to have a steady stream of marketing and blogs for review hit the
dev list. This format's working well for me as a reviewer; is that the case for
everyone else? Would anyone like to see something different (a specific list
for blog reviews, etc)?

Henrik reached out a couple of weeks ago about a potential revamping of our
community site with something open to github authenticated folks adding
entries: "The point with the site is that anyone is welcome to authenticate
with your github account, and submit an entry with links to your favorite
Cassandra addon or tool. The idea is that for example the developer of a tool
is welcome to add and maintain their own entry." This email came in on July 4th
which I know I personally missed and will need to catch up on; possible some
others missed it due to US holidays as well. Email thread is here:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/0839pvq8ob18782fpjy2coro17v7lyvg

Ekaterina continues to fight the good fight when it comes to our properties,
their units, and config params. From her email earlier today: "converting
between megabits and mebibytes produces double numbers which we already handle
internally. Now, the question is how do we want to handle this in JMX/nodetool
when reporting to the users?":
https://lists.apache.org/thread/vgnjnkhbml7zocxpohth8x443rzgvbz5

And last but not least, Apache Cassandra version 4.0.5 was released earlier
today. https://lists.apache.org/thread/c8n7hl8759j6cnm3qggq0yb89vqnc0gs. The
list of changes can be found here in CHANGES.txt:
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cassandra.git;a=blob_plain;f=CHANGES.txt;hb=refs/tags/cassandra-4.0.5.
 Of specific note is the work in CASSANDRA-15511:  * Utilise BTree improvements
to reduce garbage and improve throughput, a collaboration between Benedict and
Benjamin we can expect to see make a huge impact on access to contended
collections in the 4.0 line as well as significant reduction in allocations
across the board for all operations.

[CI Trends]
https://butler.cassandra.apache.org/#/

The last three weeks show us this delightful trend:

3.0: 10 -> 10
3.11: 23 -> 15
4.0: 2 -> 1
4.1: 8 -> 10 -> 5
trunk: 20 -> 5

That's 36 total failures across all our branches! This is a new low watermark
for us; we're getting close to both a 4.1 RC as well as needing to start
serious discussions about potential improvements to our workflows to keep these
test boards green. Knocking down flaky test failures continues to be a
high-investment activity for the project; thank you as always to everyone
taking the time to drive CI back to health!

[Release progress]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=484&quickFilter=2175

4.1 alpha:
- A flaky test fix, and the big delta mentioned above in CASSANDRA-15511
improving our BTrees in certain data models. Note: this also landed in the
4.0.5 release as mentioned above.

4.1 beta:
- 15 issues closed out in the past 3 weeks. A big one I know I personally have
high hopes for is CASSANDRA-17729 where Berenguer raised the test timeouts for
the ASF infra environment. 10 test fixes, a change to compactionstats output to
keep it from breaking the API in CASSANDRA-17683 (the motivation for the status
email discussion on what constitutes our API's mentioned above), and some unit
and accessor work in CASSANDRA-17733 and 17650.

4.1 rc:
- Documentation (17275), CQL version (17570), removal of commons-lang
dependency during build (17724), and fixing the toString on AbstractCell
(17695).

4.0.x:
- Caleb's been a busy bee in the in-JVM dtest space with 17731 as well as
worked on some general test failures that land in this lane on the kanban
(17139, 17706)

4.x:
- One I don't want to fly under the radar: "Virtual table to expose current
running queries" in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15241.
Chris Lohfink, Benedict, and Caleb collaborated to bring this feature forward;
having extensively used functionality like this in the past on another database
as an SRE, I expect this will be a big help to individuals running C* that are
looking for new insight into what's going on in their clusters and
troubleshooting production issues. Great work everyone!

Sorry again for the delay on this digest; I plan on shooting for a 2 week
cadence synced up with today going forward.

Thanks as always everyone for everything you do as a part of this community!

~Josh