Hi Amit,

The compaction bottleneck is not an instantly visible limitation. It in effect limits the total size of writes over a fairly long period of time, because compaction is asynchronous and can be queued. That means if compaction can't keep up with the writes, they will be queued, and Cassandra remains fully functional until hitting the "too many open files" error or the filesystem runs out of free inodes. This can happen over many days or even weeks.

For the purpose of benchmarking, you may prefer to measure the max concurrent compaction throughput, instead of actually waiting for that breaking moment. The max write throughput is a fraction of the max concurrent compaction throughput, usually by a factor of 5 or more for a non-trivial sized table, depending on the table size in bytes. Search for "STCS write amplification" to understand why that's the case. That means if you've measured the max concurrent compaction throughput is 1GB/s, your average max insertion speed over a period of time is probably less than 200MB/s.

If you really decide to test the compaction bottleneck in action, it's better to measure the table size in bytes on disk, rather than the number of records. That's because not only the record count, but also the size of partitions and compression ratio, all have meaningful effect on the compaction workload. It's also worth mentioning that if using the STCS strategy, which is more suitable for write heavy workload, you may want to keep an eye on the SSTable data file size distribution. Initially the compaction may not involve any large SSTable data file, so it won't be a bottleneck at all. As more bigger SSTable data files are created over time, they will get involved in compactions more and more frequently. The bottleneck will only shows up (i.e. become problematic) when there's sufficient number of large SSTable data files involved in multiple concurrent compactions, occupying all available compactors and blocks (queuing) a larger number of compactions involving smaller SSTable data files.

Regards,

Bowen