Monday Morning Caleb has digested, and here's where I am...

1.) I have no problem w/ having SELECT on the RHS of a LET assignment, and
to be honest, this may make some implementation things easier for me (i.e.
the encapsulation of SELECT within LET)
2.) I'm in favor of LET without a select, although I have no strong feeling
that it needs to be in v1.
3.) I like Benedict's tuple deconstruction idea, as it restores some of the
notational convenience of the previous proposal. Again, though, I don't
have a strong feeling this needs to be in v1.
3.b.) When we do implement tuple deconstruction, I'd be in favor of
supporting a single level of deconstruction to begin with.

Having said all that, on Friday I finished a prototype (based on some of
Blake's previous work) of the syntax/grammar we've more or less agreed upon
here, including an implementation of what I described as option #5 above:
https://github.com/maedhroz/cassandra/commits/CASSANDRA-17719-prototype

To look at specific examples, see these tests:
https://github.com/maedhroz/cassandra/blob/CASSANDRA-17719-prototype/test/distributed/org/apache/cassandra/distributed/test/accord/AccordIntegrationTest.java

There are only two things that aren't yet congruent w/ our discussion
above, but they should both be trivial to fix:

1.) I'm still using EXISTS/NOT EXISTS instead of IS NOT NULL/IS NULL.
2.) I don't require SELECT on the RHS of LET yet.

If I were to just fix those two items, would we be in agreement on this
being both the core of the syntax we want and compatible w/ the wish list
for future items?