The benefits being extolled involve people setting up GitHub bots to integrate
with PRs to run CI etc, which will require some non-trivial investment by
somebody to put together

The alternative merge strategy being discussed is not to merge, but to instead
cherry-pick or rebase. This means we can produce separate PRs for each branch,
that can be merged independently via the GitHub API. The downside of this is
that there are no merge commits, while one upside of this is that there are no
merge commits.