Thanks Benedict

For brevity I'll respond to your email, although indirectly this is also a
continuation of my debate with Josh:

At least on my scorecard, one issue was raised regarding the actual code:
CASSANDRA-18193 Provide design and API documentation. Since the addition of
code comments also significantly impacts the ability of an outsider to
understand and review the code, I would then treat it as an unknown to say
how much else such a fresh review would uncover.

By the way I would say the discussion about git submodules (and all the
other alternatives) in a broad sense was also a review'ish comment.

That said, yes of course the expectation is that if the code has already
been reviewed, and by rather experienced Cassandra developers too, there
probably won't be many issues found, and there isn't a need for several
weeks of line by line re-review.

As for the rebase, I think that somehow started dominating this discussion,
but in my view was never the only reason. For me this is primarily to
satisfy points 4 and 5 in the project governance, that everyone has had an
opportunity to review the code, for whatever reason they may wish to do so.

I should say for those of us on the sidelines we certainly expected a
rebase catching up 6 months and ~500 commits to have more substantial
changes. Hearing that this is not the case is encouraging, as it also
suggests the changes to Cassandra code are less invasive than maybe I and
others had imagined.

henrik

--

Henrik Ingo