> To my understanding this wasn't the original desire and consensus with
> JDK17, folk requested that it be introduced complete, though I cannot
> actually find the reference to that.  I was about to raise a thread asking
> for us to instead take an incremental approach, to help us move faster and
> safer, but am doing it here, thanks for raising the thread Josh.   As
> others point out, we can't paint ourselves into the wrong corner with
> JDK17, though we can't drop JDK8 support until we're out of the (right)
> corner.

I forgot to mention something.

Taking an incremental approach here also includes dropping support for
scripted UDFs first, and later on adding hooks for UDFs so users can re-add
the functionality.  (This could have been (but idk,) the "complete" desire
expressed.)

Implementing the hooks for UDFs is a current blocker and slowing down the
introduction of jdk17.  We would like to remove the blocker by first
dropping the already deprecated UDFs first.  I am for this approach because
everyone having to develop and test against jdk8, when they know 5.0
won't, is more the headache here.