I want to second what Yifan's spoken to, specifically in terms of resource
isolation and availability.

While the sidecar hasn't seen a ton of traffic and contributions since the
acceptance into the project and clearance of CEP-1, my intuition is that that's
due to the entrenched maturity of alternative sidecars out there since we were
slow as a project to build one, not out of a lack of demand for a fully fleshed
out sidecar. As functionality shows up in the ASF C* Sidecar, there's going to
be tension as operators are incentivized to run both their bespoke sidecars
they may be running alongside the ASF C* one. That's to be expected and a
necessary pain to take on during a transition that I personally think is sorely
needed.

Having bulk operations for analytics and for reading and writing SSTables is a
pretty compelling carrot, and the more folks we can get running the sidecar and
the more contributors active on it, the more we can expect to see interest and
work show up there (repair coordination, REST API's, etc - all of which we've
talked about before on ML or slack).

So I'm a strong +1 to it living in the sidecar.