Hi list,

I want to ask about the future of CloudstackSnitch.

This snitch was added 9 years ago (1). I contacted the original author of that
snitch, Pierre-Yves Ritschard, who is currently CEO of a company he coded that
snitch for.

In a nutshell, Pierre answered that he does not think this snitch is relevant
anymore and the company is using different way how to fetch metadata from a
node, rendering CloudstackSnitch, as is, irrelevant for them.

I also wrote an email to user ML list (2) about two weeks ago and nobody
answered that they are using it either.

The current implementation is using this approach (3) but I think that it is
already obsolete in the snitch because snitch is adding a path to parsed
metadata service IP which is probably not there at all in the default
implementation of Cloudstack data server.

What also bothers me is that we, as a community, seem to not be able to test
the functionality of this snitch as I do not know anybody with a Cloudstack
deployment who would be able to test this reliably.

For completeness, in (1), Brandon expressed his opinion that unless users come
forward for this snitch, he thinks the retiring it is the best option.

For all cloud-based snitches, we did the refactorization of the code in 16555
an we work on improvement in 18438 which introduces a generic way how metadata
services are called and plugging in custom logic or reusing a default
implementation of a cloud connector is very easy, further making this snitch
less relevant.

This being said, should we:

1) remove it in 5.0
2) keep it there in 5.0 but mark it @Deprecated