I'm personally not thinking about CircleCI at all; I'm envisioning a world
where all of us have 1 CI *software* system (i.e. reproducible on any env) that
we use for pre-commit validation, and then post-commit happens on reference ASF
hardware.

So:
1: Pre-commit subset of tests (suites + matrices + env) runs. On green, merge.
2: Post-commit tests (all suites, matrices, env) runs. If failure, link back to
the JIRA where the commit took place

Circle would need to remain in lockstep with the requirements for point 1 here.