I have just filed CEP-36 [1] to allow for keyspace/table storage outside of
the standard storage space.

There are two desires  driving this change:

   1. The ability to temporarily move some keyspaces/tables to storage
   outside the normal directory tree to other disk so that compaction can
   occur in situations where there is not enough disk space for compaction and
   the processing to the moved data can not be suspended.
   2. The ability to store infrequently used data on slower cheaper storage
   layers.

I have a working POC implementation [2] though there are some issues still
to be solved and much logging to be reduced.

I look forward to productive discussions,
Claude

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CASSANDRA/CEP-36%3A+A+Configurable+ChannelProxy+to+alias+external+storage+locations
[2] https://github.com/Claudenw/cassandra/tree/channel_proxy_factory