Sounds like we're relitigating the basics of how @Deprecated, forRemoval,
since, and javadoc @link all intersect to make deprecation less painful ;)

So:
 1. Built-in java.lang.Deprecated: required
 2. Can use since and forRemoval if you have that info handy and think it'd be
useful (would make it a lot easier to grep for things to pull before a major)
 3. If it's being replaced by something, you should {@link #} the javadoc for
it so people know where to bounce over to
I've been leaning pretty heavily on the functionality of point 3 for
documenting cross-module implicit dependencies as I come across them lately so
that one resonates with me.