> I think everyone agrees here, but…. these variations are still catching
>> failures, and until we have an improvement or replacement we do rely on
>> them.   I'm not in favour of removing them until we have proof /confidence
>> that any replacement is catching the same failures.  Especially oa, tries,
>> vnodes. (Not tries and offheap is being replaced with "latest", which
>> will be valuable simplification.)
>

> What kind of proof do you expect? I cannot imagine how we could prove that
> because the ability of detecting failures results from the randomness of
> those tests. That's why when such a test fail you usually cannot reproduce
> that easily.

Unit tests that fail consistently but only on one configuration, should not
be removed/replaced until the replacement also catches the failure.

> We could extrapolate that to - why we only have those configurations? why
> don't test trie / oa + compression, or CDC, or system memtable?

Because, along the way, people have decided a certain configuration
deserves additional testing and it has been done this way in lieu of any
other more efficient approach.