It's great to see where this is going and thanks for the discussion on the
ML.

Personally, I think adding two new ways of accomplishing the same thing is
a net negative.  It means we need more documentation and creates
inconsistencies across tools and users.  The tradeoffs you've listed are
worth considering, but in my opinion adding 2 new ways to accomplish the
same thing hurts the project more than it helps.

> - I'd like to see a symmetry between the JMX and CQL APIs, so that users
will have a sense of the commands they are using and are less
likely to check the documentation;

I've worked with a couple hundred teams and I can only think of a few who
use JMX directly.  It's done very rarely.  After 10 years, I still have to
look up the JMX syntax to do anything useful, especially if there's any
quoting involved.  Power users might know a handful of JMX commands by
heart, but I suspect most have a handful of bash scripts they use instead,
or have a sidecar.  I also think very few users will migrate their
management code from JMX to CQL, nor do I imagine we'll move our own tools
until the `disablebinary` problem is solved.

> - It will be easier for us to move the nodetool from the jmx client that
is used under the hood to an implementation based on a java-driver and use
the CQL for the same;

I can't imagine this would make a material difference.  If someone's
rewriting a nodetool command, how much time will be spent replacing the JMX
call with a CQL one?  Looking up a virtual table isn't going to be what
consumes someone's time in this process.  Again, this won't be done without
solving `nodetool disablebinary`.

> if we have cassandra-15254 merged, it will cost almost nothing to support
the exec syntax for setting properties;

My concern is more about the weird user experience of having two ways of
doing the same thing, less about the technical overhead of adding a second
implementation.  I propose we start simple, see if any of the reasons
you've listed are actually a real problem, then if they are, address the
issue in a follow up.

If I'm wrong, it sounds like it's fairly easy to add `exec` for changing
configs.  If I'm right, we'll have two confusing syntaxes forever.  It's a
lot easier to add something later than take it away.

How does that sound?

Jon