Although I have not searched jira, I'd bet plans could use help, if they exist. I recall the jog4j -> logback transition, and it was not super complex, and reading through the logback docs, some defaults were updated and the project gained a nice feature bump. I would think a minor version rev of logback should be straightforward. I would suggest dropping in a new version, fix what needs fixing (if anything, read the upstream changelog), and if you get it to work, push a branch for a pull request. License updates, etc can get updated with a reviewer, if you miss any details. Sounds like a good contribution :)

Kind regards,
Michael