Jon,

The major challenge with latency based rate limiters is that the latency is
subjective from one workload to another. As a result, in the proposal I
have described, the idea is to make decision on the following combinations:

   1. System parameters (such as CPU usage, etc.)
   2. Cassandra thread pools health (are they dropping requests, etc.)

And if these two are +ve then consider the server under pressure. And once
it is under the pressure, then shed the traffic from less aggressive to
more aggressive, etc. The idea is to prevent Cassandra server from melting
(by considering the above two signals to begin with and add any more based
on the learnings)

Scott,

Yes, I did look at some of the implementations, but they are all great
systems and helping quite a lot. But they are still not relying on system
health, etc. and also not in the generic coordinator/replication read/write
path. The idea here is on the similar lines as the existing
implementations, but making it a bit more generic and trying to cover as
many paths as possible.

German,

Sure, let's first continue the discussions here. If it turns out that there
is no widespread interest in the idea then we can do 1:1 and see how we can
help each other on a private fork, etc.

Jaydeep