Agreed. Most teams I’ve worked with are on EBS. It’s significantly cheaper
for denser storage. I’m running 15-20TB nodes. Ever since we merged
CASSANDRA-15452, its worked really well.

Anyone using k8s is probably using EBS.

On Tue, Oct 6, 2026 at 12:20 PM Jeff Jirsa <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>
> > On Oct 6, 2026, at 4:49 AM, Benedict <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > 
> >>
> >> This feature primarily benefits a narrow and not recommended use case
> (EBS), and our roadmap expects to obsolete it. The first draft increases
> the core codebase size by around 1%, and more for later phases - this isn’t
> small.
> >
> > Sorry, in my edits for brevity I lost the point I was making here. Given
> the narrower benefit and lifetime of the feature, and non-trivial cost, we
> should try to see if we have alternatives that yield a stronger
> cost:benefit ratio.
> >
> > FWIW, I think cheap partial range streaming is an independently
> important thing we want to achieve, that is of long term benefit to the
> project - and I am not opposed to these other improvements in principle
> either.
> >
> >> On 6 Oct 2026, at 11:14, Benedict Elliott Smith <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Chris,
> >>
> >>> I think you would agree that complexity alone is not a reason to
> reject a design. You described Accord as “likely the most complex thing we
> have ever merged to the project,”
> >>
> >> Yes, we are discussing cost:benefit. Many proposals are subject to
> debate, and I am sure you will recall that Accord was by no means exempted
> from this.
> >>
> >> This feature primarily benefits a narrow and not recommended use case
> (EBS), and our roadmap expects to obsolete it. The first draft increases
> the core codebase size by around 1%, and more for later phases - this isn’t
> small.
> >>>
>
> It’s not that narrow, and I dont know that I’d agree about it being
> not-recommended (I personally put more than one company on it intentionally
> despite the disk latency because of the cost and operational simplicity)
>
> I’d bet most deployments of Cassandra are on disaggregated disks of some
> kind (ebs, ceph, azure premium disks, etc).
>
> Most local nvme offerings are ephemeral in cloud environments and much
> harder to deal with operationally.

Reply via email to