On Apr 7, 2007, at 2:33 PM, Adrian Wiesmann wrote:
- I am no big fan of forks. So if there is some solution in which we do not fork the DataViews but officially take over the maintenance off- site or something, I would prefer that. This would also mean we would stay with
the name and don't change it to something else.

There is definitely a process for doing this within Apache. ASF is a volunteer organization after all, and commit karma is granted for (a) code contributions and (b) the ability and desire to work with the community.

We would definitely welcome your effort at Cayenne. The way it works - initially you start by submitting patches via Jira, and of the committers would review and apply them. Once everybody is comfortable with how this goes, we will vote and grant you committer status, removing the last obstacle for you doing this work.

- Our SOBF Tool is released under the GPL. I would welcome if we could
change licence for the source code of the DataViews that is already there,
or find some way to dual licence the current version of the DataViews
(Apache Licence and LGPL?). Or perhaps there is another solution. This is
only a question of making our lives easier than of removing anyones
copyright or something.

I can't advise you on your options if you fork, but if you continue doing work under the ASF roof, ASF license will definitely be a requirement. Wouldn't you still be able to use it in a GPL project? I don't know the answer to that. HTTPD runs on Linux somehow :-)

Andrus