Hi,

Thanks for the comments.

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 8:45 AM Gerrit Binnenmars <
gerritbinnenm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Pepijn,
>
> Very interesting and indeed I think Celix can benefit from this. I also
> like the fact that the interface between C and C++ is very minimal and
> clear in this way.
> Looking at the code I noticed you need at least C++11, please state that
> explicitly.

Good point. Will add this.

> Questions that I have:
> 1. can I (or should I) deploy the C and C++ dependency manager in the same
> framework?

Yes you can and also should be able to do this. A big advantages of
service-oriented programming is that you can focus on the interfaces
instead of underlining implementations. Adding C++ (or other languages) to
the mix, should mean that you can provided/consume services in a preferred
language and the rest of the application can be unaware of this.

> 2. I notice you use the STL library. Does your code follow the guidelines
> for embedded/realtime programming and the use of STL?
>     (look on the Internet for discussion using new/delete and memory
> fragmentation, std::list<> usage and automatic resizing, no exception
> handling, no RTTI)

Not yet, but that is a valid remark. I think it is wise to disable RTTI and
exceptions in the C++ dependency manager and then is it up to users of the
dependency manager to decide to use exception in their code / services.
I did a quick search but could not find anything useful on std::list usage,
automatic resizing ect, could you provide some links. This can help in
focusing the discussion.

> 3. Should the header files not have a distinct extension?

For this I followed the google C++ guideline [1].  If I am correct, for
cmake it is crucial to have a clear discriminator between C (.c) and C++
(.cc) source files (translation units).

[1] https://google.github.io/styleguide/cppguide.html#Header_Files

> Another point I want to mention to everyone: there has been some activity
> to integrate RUST with Celix by Rogier Velting, see
> https://github.com/RogierWV/rust-celix

Thanks for pointing that out.