PengZheng commented on PR #845:
URL: https://github.com/apache/celix/pull/845#issuecomment-5903072742

   > I am struggling a bit with this. 
   
   So am I. 
   
   >  I can understand that we say/document something like: "The latest Ubuntu 
packages from the LTS used in Apache Celix are our reference for monitoring 
upstream vulnerabilities. Usage of Conan is also possible, but it is up to the 
user to resolve/select the final dependency versions." And maybe document how 
you can run a conan audit scan. In this case, I would expect that, if we do 
something with SBOM generation and vulnerability scanning, we do it based on 
the APT-based CI builds.
   
   We can do it  for both Ubuntu and Conan builds, which provides our users 
clearer security status of these builds.
   Except:
   * For Conan build, it is just a single command to generate SBOM and get 
audit report.
   * For Ubuntu build, some work is needed to generate SBOM, and more work for 
audit report.
   
   A clickable link to these audit reports in README.md (as the codecov) will 
be very helpful.
   
   > Alternatively, we could make Conan and Conan package version resolution 
our reference and use a lockfile. I think it is also Ok to update the lockfile 
more frequently, and at the same time a lockfile could help during heavy 
development to prevent too many dependency changes between builds.
   
   > I am a bit worried about the maintenance burden once we have more insight 
into upstream vulnerabilities. So I am not sure what the best approach is. From 
a "minimize the burden" perspective, I think it would be better to follow the 
APT package approach and rely on Canonical LTS security maintenance, instead of 
depending on multiple Conan Center recipes and therefore multiple maintainers. 
Maybe something with syft is possible and then scanning the CI build dir.
   
   When dealing with CRA requirements, Conan is a very powerful tool. In my day 
job, we have a private Conan deployment within the enterprise. It is not always 
possible to update to the latest upstream open source component to fix security 
issues. For example, projects as Civetweb are not actively maintained, or we 
must stick to a very old version like libcurl 7.x. We can rely on Ubuntu LTS or 
other Linux distributions' security patches to generate patched revision of 
such conan package. Then an ultimate downstream `--require-override` will fix 
security issues without touch any other components.
   
   > For me, the main question is therefore which dependency ecosystem we want 
to treat as the reference security baseline for Apache Celix.
   
   We can spend most of efforts to get SBOM/audit work on Ubuntu LTS, and then 
provide easy access to audit reports for both Ubuntu and Conan build.
   
   
   


-- 
This is an automated message from the Apache Git Service.
To respond to the message, please log on to GitHub and use the
URL above to go to the specific comment.

To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]

For queries about this service, please contact Infrastructure at:
[email protected]

Reply via email to