This is an Alfresco-specific question, so you should probably ask it in
http://community.alfresco.com or or StackOverflow.

However, I will say that it sounds like maybe you are trying to use
credentials that do not have access to the object you are querying or
something else is not functioning properly, because Alfresco supports
authentication using any user credential, not just admin.

Jeff