The storage subsystem currently uses a number of hypervisor APIs for
transferring files between data stores (both primary and secondary). However,
while implementing the storage subsystem API as a storage provider, we have
discovered that there is a need for a generic copy method that can copy files
between (almost) any source and destination. For example, if we need to copy a
file from our storage to S3 or Swift. It would make more sense for the SSVM to
provide a generic method for copying files than for us to implement a copy
method for S3, Swift, etc. Additionally, the SSVM already has NFS volumes
mounted and has easier access to primary and secondary storage.

I will work on formalizing a full functional spec if needed but wanted to get
this up for discussion ASAP.

I have created a JIRA ticket:

Thanks,
Chris