I'm just trying to understand why it's simpler or preferred. To me
it's simpler to not bother with the VPC-wide, and automatically
enables flexibility or the use case you've described.

Case 1:

admin decides to put a /60 on a vpc
admin programs /60 to vpc via cloudstack
admin programs /60 route on upstream router to point to vpc
admin assigns /64 ranges from /60 to individual vpc networks via cloudstack

Case 2:

admin decides to put a /60 on a vpc
admin programs /60 route on upstream router to point to vpc
admin assigns /64 ranges from /60 to individual vpc networks via cloudstack