On 07.06.2014 03:38, John Kinsella wrote:
Hey Ilya -

So, for about a month now we’ve had a system running SmartOS[1],
which gives a combination of containers and KVM, albeit on illumos
instead of linux. In general I’m not impressed by SmartOS’s story, but
we had one customer asking for it (and I sorta expect more, we’re not
officially supporting it yet). It’s a little early for me to even
ponder integrating it with ACS, but might but worth a glance if you’re
looking for that KVM/container mix.

Downsides:
 * Compared to a Linux hypervisor, much less feature support (missing
Ceph is personally bugging me)
 * It’s…Solaris (the OS that won’t go away, c0t0d0s0 gives me
flashbacks from 10 years ago). For us our infrastructure/automation is
fairly tuned for linux, so really embracing this will require…effort.

Check out the Proxmox project which provides both containers and VMs, in the form of OpenVZ (not ideal, I know) and KVM.

Lucian

Nux!
www.nux.ro