> The general concept is one of traceable and repeatable builds.

In the context of jenkins.buildacloud.org I would disagree with this. Only
two build jobs are ever kept. When a time arises when you need to figure
out what commit your systemvm was based of I'd be willing to bet that job
has been cleared out of jenkins ages ago.

> In RPM land, the jenkins $BUILD_NUMBER should go into the RPM Release
field and not into the RPM Version field. But in this case we don’t have
RPM, or spec files

Isn't this what we use /etc/cloudstack-release for?
You could include extra information in there if you wish, version, branch,
git sha1, etc. which would give great traceability.

The supplied download-template script is dependant on having a local
nexus/artifactory that can do searching on published build artifacts. In
the context of jenkins.buildacloud.org the system vms are not uploaded to
nexus/artifactory and just kept on the jenkins box.

The RPM one grabs a zip of all RPM is the last successful build. The zip
filename doesn't contain any version information.

Changing this causes 404s for people example:
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cloudstack-users/201409.mbox/browser