I agree, this wrapper is a good step forward. It's totally fine to continue
on that path because it is obviously better and makes it easy to switch to
autodetection anytime later by simply adding the annotation. Sorry if I got
a bit passionate about that, but as you mention I also get tired of adding
things in multiple places, and the annotations have worked well in the API
and provide a good model to emulate for consistency.

I can't share code, because these extensions to LibvirtComputingResource
that I've provided for other companies have not been open sourced. I can
speak more generically though about methods.

To answer question "a", reflection allows you to do something like:

Reflections reflections = new
Reflections("com.cloud.hypervisor.kvm.resource.wrapper");
Set<Class<? extends CommandWrapper>> wrappers =
reflections.getSubTypesOf(CommandWrapper.class);

So here in "new Reflections" we are automatically filtering for just the
wrappers that would apply to the KVM plugin.
Then to finish it off, you iterate through the wrappers and do:

ResourceWrapper annotation = wrapper.getAnnotation(ResourceWrapper.class);
citrixCommands.put(annotation.handles(), wrapper.newInstance());

Sorry, I guess that's four lines, plus the relevant for loop. And probably
a null check or something for the annotation. You also have to add the
annotation class itself, and add a line for the annotation in each wrapper,
but in the end when we add new Commands, we won't have to touch anything
but the new class that handles the command.

public @interface ResourceWrapper {

    Class<? extends Command> handles();

}

There's an example of something similar to this in
KVMStoragePoolManager.java (annotation is StoragePoolInfo.java). This
example has actually been adapted from that. Also to a lesser extent in the
API server, but it is spread across a bunch of classes.