Github user abhinandanprateek commented on the pull request:

    https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/222#issuecomment-98430113

    The issue has got entangled, let me try to summarise what each of us has
been trying to do:

    The initial fix itself takes a step into right direction. Use of a proper
state instead of null is a good idea. Right now that change is localised in
only one of the investigator method. On the whole there is no change to code
flow and the change makes it even more readable.

    If you look at the HA code holistically then this breaks a pattern for the
good, but then the whole code should be made consistent, which means when any
investigator i.e. a host investigator or a vm investigator does not know the
state of the resource for sure it passes 'UNKNOWN' and not 'null'. I think that
will be bit disruptive for a maintenance release, but if can be done that is
fine too.

    So if majority agrees that they will continue to work on making this code
consistent eventually then that is best way forward . As of now it does not
change code flow but only effects the semantic consistency.

---
with INFRA.
---