+1

On 04 Jun 2015, at 14:29, Rohit Yadav
<rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com<mailto:rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>> wrote:

Hi,

On 04-Jun-2015, at 11:05 am, Remi Bergsma
<rberg...@schubergphilis.com<mailto:rberg...@schubergphilis.com>> wrote:

To summarise:
#1. rebooting VR is needed for hypervisors that have their own DR (like VMware
and Hyperv) as a restart outside of CloudStack makes it lose its config hence
the VR is unavailable
#2. rebooting is NOT needed for successful live migrations on _any_ hypervisor
(since there was no restart everything still works)
#3. CloudStack 4.6 has persistent config in VR, so rebooting is never needed

The current behaviour in 4.4.3, 4.5.1 and master:
- always rebooting VR when out-of-band detected ==> Works great for #1, but
makes case #2 not work

The previous behaviour:
- never rebooting VR when out-of-band detected ==>  Works great for #2, but
makes case #1 not work

We need something that works for both cases :-)

About #1 and #2:
Can we detect in another way that a VR became unreachable/non-functional and do
an action based on that?

So, if a VR lives on a VMware hypervisor that happens to crash, VMware HA will
start it on another available hypervisor but without config it will not be
reachable on the control network. If we want to do it generic, I’d say that
when a VR is not controllable any more we could reboot it. We could also make
this a setting ‘systemvm auto reboot on control failure’ or whatever we call it.

This would then also be a useful feature in 4.6

About #3:
I’d suggest at least reverting the commit to master, as it makes no sense since
the VR is persistent already.
https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/blob/master/server/src/com/cloud/network/router/VirtualNetworkApplianceManagerImpl.java#L2638
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cloudstack.git;a=commitdiff;h=c3515c9

I agree on master, we can revert due to #3.

On 4.4 and 4.5 branches, if we revert it than it will break #1 and if we keep
it - it breaks #2. We need to fix this in a hypervisor agnostic way.

So, if we can use aggregated cmd execution that Sudhashu and others have
shared, in case of an out of band migration we can do this:

1. If we’re unable to reach VR, we can keep the RebootTask to do its job. In
many cases I’ve seen VR disk corruption, so if after rebooting VR (which might
kick in fsck) it fails CloudStack may eventually recreate a new VR makes sense.
This will solve #1. This case IMO is highly unlikely.

2. If we’re able to reach the VR after VR is migrated out of band, we run an
AgrregationExecutionTask sending all the rules for that VR. This will solve #2
without needing to reboot a VM. This case is more likely to happen, so if I’ve
pick between this and the above case, I would try to solve for this case.

I’m not sure about the actual implementation, and will re-applying rules using
a AgrregationExecutionTask cause any issue in the VR? Comments?

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +91 88 262 30892 |
rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com<mailto:rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Blog: bhaisaab.org<http://bhaisaab.org/> | Twitter: @_bhaisaab

CloudStack Software
CloudStack Infrastructure
Support<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-infrastructure-support/>

intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon
its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you
believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company
incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company
incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape
Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is
operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company
registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from