> Yes and it seems to work ok with a recent version (1.7.42) of the aws cli
[1] once you tell it to use V2 signature.  I have not tried it with the ec2
cli tools [2].

Awesome! good spot.

We(Myself and Darren) noticed it stopped working with the latest awscli due
to changes in boto, our workaround due to not having time to work on it was
just to use an older version. Glad to see you found a better method.

> One thing that would help is to try and figure out a good place to put the
name/internal name/display name fields that are used in Cloudstack.

The language used between Cloudstack and AWS isn't identical. When we were
making EC2Stack we just tried to use best common sense for
the conversion of fields.

PrivateDNSName *to me* would be something that one would be able to
resolve... if displayname.whatever-set-domain.tld is resolvable at some
point in the system then this change seems sane. Otherwise use a tag.

If you want to do a PR totally happy to review it. its been awhile since I
worked on ec2stack so my memory is a bit foggy if I remember correctly it
should just be a case of modifying ec2stack/templates/instances.xml adding
the appropriate key with value of instance.displayname