On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 1:18 PM, Rene Moser <m...@renemoser.net> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I don't like the idea cloudstack management handles the "apt-get update
> && apt-get upgrade" (I am -1 for this solution) or at least I would like
> to disable it by configuration, if we go this direction.

It should by no means be mandatory, and wether or not it should be default
on is up for debate.
I have no strong opinion about the latter.

Adding a boilerplate in the install/admin docs that says "If you have no
other tools in place to handle system vm updates, consider enabling this
option: x.y.z" is good enough for me.

This is supposed to be a way for all those who don't have any other/better
means of doing this, not a mandatory/forced way of doing it for everyone
else.

We use ansible (what a surprise) to update the VR and also add some
> custom patches to it. We have a dynamic inventory getting all the VR
> with linklocal IP as ssh host and regulary run playbooks to these VRs
> running by a jenkins job.
>
> This sounds a bit kind of a hack at the beginning but it has the
> advantage that we are able to run the very same playbooks also against
> our test and stage cloud. Which gives a good feeling.
>
> I would like to see an api for download and update latest system-vm
> template. AFAIK this is still not solved (without touching DB) to update
> system-vm templates having same version.
>
> This way it would be up to the user to handle the upgrade and to think a
> bit further we could also define a rollback scenario (use previous
> template).

This thread is ment to discuss varies ways to achieve the goal, I did not
mean to propose a single way of doing it.
Pushing an ansible inventory script (that works with all major ACS
hypervisors) and a playbook is another option.

--
Erik