There is no good reason i am aware of.

CloudStack was designed under a premise it will be ran by Cloud hosting
and not enterprise. Hence there was not much emphasis on cloudstack
instance name VS display name.

With that said, down the road a feature has been added only to VMware to
enable display name in vCenter.

What hypervisors are you running?