Hi all,

Will and I had some discussions around systemvm template on one of the PRs, I
wanted to bring the discussion here on dev@.

Provided we've some features merged before the freeze date in May, we will need
to build a new systemvm-template with likely following new packages (assuming
the feature PRs get merged):

-          Zebra and related packages required by OSPF stuff from Abhi

-          Strongswan required by strongswan-vpn PR from Jayapal

To reduce scope, I suggest we still use Debian7 as base. As soon as these PRs
get merged, we can create early systemvmtemplates in order to have them
available for early testing (and against other PRs).
Will raised questions around where and how to build them -- I suppose we can
reuse the systemvmtemplate builder Jenkins jobs (or create a new one if that's
not working/broke) and we can use community-maintained hosting places to host
them, I don't know if ASF can provide us any place to host them (S3, servers
etc.). Comments, questions?

For long term (likely 4.10/LTS), I hope to have following work we can do around
systemvm templates:

-          Try to reduce systemvm template and systemvm.iso size

-          Migrate to Debian 8 based base-template, newer packages and kernel

-          Fix systemvm.iso init scripts (cloud early script, password-server
script etc.) to be systemd compatible

-          Evaluate and migrate Python scripts to using Python3 (if possible
that would be great as more distros are moving to use Python 3.x as default)

-          Migrate to using Java8 JRE (both for systemvm agents and mgmt.
server)

-          Migrate the systemvm build system to use packer with KVM, instead of
using veewee/VirtualBox

Regards.

Regards,

Rohit Yadav