All,

As I am sure many have observed, we have a large number of committers [1] who
are no longer active.  Currently, we no status that continues to recognize
someone’s committer merit while allowing them to declare inactive in the
project.  To address this gap, I am proposed amending our project bylaws [2] as
follows:

2.3.4  A committer is considered "emeritus" by sending their declaration to
priv...@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:priv...@cloudstack.apache.org>.
  An emeritus committer may return to "active" status by sending their
declaration to
priv...@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:priv...@cloudstack.apache.org>.
  No vote is required for a committer change from “emeritus" to “active" status.

2.3.5 "Active committters" are all non-emeritus committers.

These clauses were inspired by the Apache Cocoon [3] bylaws [4].  To be clear,
a committer never loses their merit, and only a committer can decide to go
emeritus.  Since merit is never lost, a emeritus committer may return to active
status at anytime by simply informing the PMC of their intention to be active
again.  No one can require that committer change to emeritus status.

On the website, we would place emeritus committers in a separate section —
allowing users to more easily identify those that are actively participating in
the project.

Thoughts?
-John

[1]: http://cloudstack.apache.org/who.html
[2]: https://cloudstack.apache.org/bylaws.html
[3]: http://cocoon.apache.org/
[4]:
http://code.metager.de/source/xref/apache/cocoon/commons/bylaws/bylaws.txt#14

Regards,

John Burwell

john.burw...@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden, London VA WC2N 4HSUK
@shapeblue