This thread is primarily to work out the logistical details with the ASF
Infra team for making this move.

I thought I had members of the ASF Infra team CC'ed earlier, but that was
not the case, so I appologize if this was not on your radar until now.

I have CC'ed in both the ACS dev@ list and the ASF board@ list to try to
keep everyone on the same page and try to avoid any miscommunication or
misunderstandings.  If you have any questions about any of this, please
speak up and I will make sure your questions are answered.

Because I just CC'ed the world into this thread, I will quickly summarize
some of the history here and what we are trying to solve.

Apache CloudStack (ACS) has been struggling with the ability to maintain a
active (monthly) release cycle while also maintaining the quality of the
code.  This is primarily due to the size of the project and the
environmental complexity required to test it.  ACS is a cloud orchestration
software which supports 4+ hypervisors, many hardware appliances and an
endless number of different configurations.  Because of this complexity, it
is impossible for a single team or stack of infrastructure to test the
entire code base.  This means, in order to be effective, we need to be able
to distribute our CI testing and organize ourselves accordingly.

We have tried to work inside the 'apache' github organization, but due to
the lack of permission granularity, it is not possible.  This is because it
is impossible for individuals to be granted permissions specifically on the
ACS repository without the permissions being given globally on the 'apache'
github org.  Understandably, the ASF Infra team is hesitant to grant
individuals permissions on the entire 'apache' github organization.

I have proposed, and we have voted with unanimous support, to move the ACS
repo from 'apache/cloudstack' to 'apache-cloudstack/cloudstack'.  This
repository will remain be a mirror of the official '
git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/cloudstack.git' which will continue to be
the source of truth for the code.

This new github organization will let us take advantage of additional
features which will enable us to better organize our development and
testing lifecycle.

Some of these features include:
- Labels: Trying to coordinate the status of an ever growing number of Pull
Requests (PRs) without labels is daunting.  This will greatly improve our
ability to coordinate CI runs and prioritize PRs that are close to being
ready to merge.
distributed CI runs.  This makes it difficult to coordinate testing and
makes it hard to know if a PR is ready to merge.
- Close PRs: We currently have no way to close a PR without making a 'fake
commit' to the official ASF repository.  This is both inconvenient and
pollutes our commit history.
- Hooks: The ability to configure post-commit hooks will greatly improve
our ability to automate the kick off or queuing of distributed CI runs and
other verification tools.

This is not an exhaustive list, but is enough to help you understand the
types of features which will greatly improve our workflow.

The ACS PMC would like to have owner rights to this new organizations, but
also welcomes members of the ASF Infra team to have ownership rights as
well.

All that said, here is our current progress:
- All parties are in agreement with the decision to make the move [1][2][3].
- I have talked to Github support about getting the 'mirror' setup after
the move.  They said that a user who has admin access to both organizations can
email them after the transfer and they will setup the mirror for us.
- I have setup the 'apache-cloudstack' github organization.
- I have added Sam, Chris and David (as well as some PMC members) as owners
of the 'apache-cloudstack' org.

Please advise which other ASF members should be added as owners of the '
apache-cloudstack' github organization.

I would like to remind everyone to remain constructive and respectful.
There are a lot of eyes on this and it is in everyone's interest that we
handle this well.

I am looking forward to working with you guys.  Please voice any questions
or concerns in this thread so we can resolve them openly.

Cheers,

Will

Some additional reading if you would like a little more history and
context...

[1]
http://markmail.org/message/4an7nivshnndo25c?q=list:org%2Eapache%2Eincubator%2Ecloudstack-%2A+apache-cloudstack/cloudstack
[2]