Maybe we should send an email to the dev and users lists with something
like this:
---
Dropping F5 Support
The F5 plugin currently does not have any maintainers and it is holding us
back from making an important move to Java 8. If you depend on this plugin,
we recommend that you contact the dev@ list and either contribute to the
plugin upgrade, or commission someone to do it for you.
---
At least this way we can give people fair warning and give them a chance to
get into the dev cycle or pay someone to work on this before it affects
their business. Ideally people will learn about dropped plugins before they
are released and they are not learning about it in the release notes. :)