There's a list of compatibility issues between Java 7 & Java 8 here
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/8-compatibility-guide-2156366.
html

The main problem I would see in two system communicating while running
different Java version is the way they handle serialization and
de-serialization of objects which had been a problem in the past between
some Java versions. AFAIK we're using JSON for that now, so if the code
already compiles with Java8, it should not be a problem.