It looks like a bug. For vmware, moving root volume with migrateVolume with
livemigrate=true for zone-wide PS works just fine for us. In the background, it
uses StoragevMotion. From another angle MigrateVirtualMachine works also
perfectly fine. I know for a fact that vmware supports moving from host to host
and storage to storage at the same time so it seems to be a bug in
migrateVirtualMachineWithVolume implementation. vSphere standard license is
enough for both regular and storage vMotion.