I noticed this problem on CentOS 7.
It seems that by default the mysql 5.6, comes with sql_mode = "" (at least
in my Ubuntu installation); while on 5.7, it comes with quite some
restrictions.
I set it to the default of 5.6, it would be nice though to see if we can
improve our SQLs to comply with those restrictions, or at least to remove
only a few of them.

--
Rafael Weingärtner