Hi

On 05/23/2017 02:16 PM, Simon Weller wrote:

> We floated some ideas related to short term VR fixes in order to make it more
> modular, as well as API driven, rather than the currently SSH JSON injections.

Speaking about endless possibilities... ;)

I support the initiative (+1) to make the routing more API driven and
modular, the issue I see with a "too hard backed" appliance is the
integration into the existing environment.

One big benefit of the VR is that we can relatively easy customize it.

I had some thoughts about how to integrate a standardized "custom
configuration" mechanism to the VR.

I like the idea to have a "user data" or "cloud init" for the VR on the
network offerings level. This would allow any virtual appliance "vendor"
to implement a simple interface (e.g. static yaml/json data) which
allows the "cloudstack admin" to customize the virtual appliance in the
network offerings API.

E.g. for our VR, the "cloud init" interface would allow

* to install and configure custom monitoring solution
* configure the automated update mechanism
* add web hooks to trigger what so ever
* install and run cfgmgmt like puppet/ansible-pull
* etc.

So for any virtual appliance the interfaces would be the same but the
config option would differ based on features they provide.

Regards
René