Back to jira. I personally have never searched jira for an issue. I search
github prs for issues often though to see what code is actually pending for
different issues. I dont think i am alone in that.

My stance is that unless we have a solid reason for using jira which we can
not solve with github at this point, we should reconsider our use of jira.

Now that we have gitbox setup, i think we have the ability to use Issues as
well as PRs. I think it is much wiser to keep the discussion around the
code much closer to the code and not in a 3rd system.  By using jira we
encourage people who are contributing to the discussion to never look at
the code because it is not available in the same screen. I think it is much
more useful to discuss changes with the context of the code at your finger
tips.  Comment on specific lines of code, review the conformance to the
style guide, etc...

Also, I think the argument that jira somehow helps with release notes is
being made by people who have never created the release notes. When using
jira, you are assuming that everyone has jira in their workflow and the
status of a ticket is always right. This is almost never the case and there
is a huge amount of man effort to try to manage that delta.  My colleague,
Pierre-Luc Dion, has historically created the majority of release notes up
until 4.9,  when I scripted based on the PRs actually merged (as I was the
4.9 RM). My script tried to associate jira tickets if it could find them,
but not every piece of code merged had a ticket (which will always be the
case). There will always be a PR for a change, there wont always be a jira
ticket. That alone should mean that we should be doing release notes based
on the PRs and not the jira tickets. Also, Pierre-Luc does not have the
time to spend a week building the release notes anymore for every release,
he is a busy man...

Anyway, these are my two cents. As always I am open to other opinions and
points of view. I would encourage us to try to understand and pinpoint what
we think adding jira to the flow actually achieves. Now that we have the
gitbox integration I feel like we should move the vast majority of the
development and issue related workflows closer to the code.

Sorry for the wall of text...