“technically we should only have "one" on primary storage at any given point in
time”

I just wanted to follow up on this one.

When we are copying a delta from the previous snapshot, we should actually have
two snapshots on primary storage for a time.

If the delta copy is successful, then we delete the older snapshot. If the
delta copy fails, then we delete the newest snapshot.

Is that correct?