>From your other emails it sounds as though you do not have IPMI configured,
nor host HA enabled, correct? In this case, the correct thing to do is
nothing. If CloudStack cannot guarantee the VM state (as is the case with
an unreachable hypervisor), it should do nothing, for fear of causing a
split brain and corrupting the VM disk (VM running on two hosts).

Clustering and fencing is a tricky proposition. When CloudStack (or any
other cluster manager) is not configured to or cannot guarantee state then
things will simply lock up, in this case your HA VM on your broken
hypervisor will not run elsewhere. This has been the case for a long time
with CloudStack, HA would only start a VM after the original hypervisor
agent came back and reported no VM is running.

The new feature, from what I gather, simply adds the possibility of
CloudStack being able to reach out and shut down the hypervisor to
guarantee state. At that point it can start the VM elsewhere. If something
fails in that process (IPMI unreachable, for example, or bad credentials),
you're still going to be stuck with a VM not coming back.

It's the nature of the thing. I'd be wary of any HA solution that does not
reach out and guarantee state via host or storage fencing before starting a
VM elsewhere, as it will be making assumptions. Its entirely possible a VM
might be unreachable or unable to access it storage for a short while, a
new instance of the VM is started elsewhere, and the original VM comes back.