From: Dag Sonstebo <dag.sonst...@shapeblue.com>
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2018 8:32 AM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: CEPH / CloudStack features

Excellent, thanks Wido.

When you say snapshotting – is this VM snapshots, volume snapshots or both?

How about live migration, does this work?

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect
ShapeBlue

On 27/07/2018, 13:41, "Wido den Hollander" <w...@widodh.nl> wrote:

    Hi,

    On 07/27/2018 12:18 PM, Dag Sonstebo wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I’m trying to find out more about CEPH compatibility with CloudStack /
KVM – i.e. trying to put together a feature matrix of what works  and what
doesn’t compared to NFS (or other block storage platforms).
    > There’s not a lot of up to date information on this – the configuration
guide on [1] is all I’ve located so far apart from a couple of one-liners in
the official documentation.

    > Could I get some feedback from the Ceph users in the community?

    Yes! So, at first, Ceph is KVM-only. Other hypervisors do not support
    RBD (RADOS Block Device) from Ceph.

    What is supported:

    - Thin provisioning
    - Discard / fstrim (Requires VirtIO-SCSI)
    - Volume cloning
    - Snapshots
    - Disk I/O throttling (done by libvirt)

    Meaning, when a template is deployed for the first time in a Primary
    Storage it's written to Ceph and all other Instances afterwards are a
    clone of that primary image.

    You can snapshot a RBD image and then have it copied to Secondary
    Storage. Now, I'm not sure if keeping the snapshot in Primary Storage
    and reverting works yet, I haven't looked at that in recent times.

    The snapshotting part on Primary Storage is probably something that
    needs some love and attention, but otherwise I think all other features
    are supported.

    I would recommend a CentOS 7 or Ubuntu 16.04/18.04 hypervisor, both work
    just fine with Ceph.

    Wido

dag.sonst...@shapeblue.com
@shapeblue