From: Marc Portier

> Reinhard Pötz wrote:
> > JXForms is very close to the XForms standard by the W3C.
> The problem
> > with this standard is that is was written for clients and not for
> > servers.
> >

> I share this view...
>
> > On the other hand Woody is IMO a server-side form framework
> with the
> > possiblity to reuse parts. The key is that Woody uses widgets and
> > widgets needn't be fields. So you could write a calendar widget and
> > reuse it everywhere.
>
> that is the idea, but some way to go yet
>
> > Currently Woody is missing a connection to your data models. Marc
> > already wrote RT on this topic but I have to admit that I
> haven't had
> > the time to answer on them and IMO Woody needs the
> *possiblity* (not a
> > must)
> >

> yep, that is my believe to
>
> woody is already used by (some courageous) people that just
> programmatically interact with the widgets (set/getValue on them)
> directly, this is a use case that should be sustained at all
> times IMHO
>
> the idea I had, and wanted to discuss about is making sure that
> we can off-load (and make declarative) this programmatic
> interaction to what I dubbed a 'Binding Manager'
>
> what it boils down to is (like the form-manager in woody) a
> factory for 'Binding' objects... these objects:
> - are instantiated by the factory based on a declarative XML file
> - have two public methods loadFormFromModel(form, model) and
> saveFormToModel(form, model)
>
> given the limited interaction in the list

Expect more after 2.1 is released! Then we should find a path from

  JXForms -------\
                  \             Cocoon
                  /         Form Framework
  Woody   -------/

> about this I have just
> been playing some more with the idea and have a JXPath based
> implementation on my HD: I'm cleaning it up as we speak to be in
> a postable format on bugzilla... (which will include a sample for
> editing an XML file, given the JXPath implementation though it
> should be fairly easy to use it for hibernate produced javabeans
> as well)

Yes, IMO JXPath support for the data model is a must

> I promised this before, but it looks like I should be able to get
> it out today (sorry for the implied suspense :-))
> (in fact: bruno just looks to this over my shoulder and starts
> laughing: "Marc is making guestimates again"   DUH!)
>

> > to plug-in a global data dictionary (greetings from SAP ;-)
> >

> don't know SAP, however your remark makes me think about all sort
> of things (not uncommon for me)
>
> however in this case I'ld rather have you explain more closely
> what you envision...

Expect more in August (after my holidays)

> > As you can see the frameworks are different and designed with
> > different goals. I'm not sure how those can be combined but I'm
> > expecting Sylvains RTs
> > (http://www.anyware-tech.com/blogs/sylvain/archives/000060.html)
> me too, it is not the first time Sylvain mentioned this

As Antonio pointed out sometime in the future there may exist clients
that support XForms natively and we shouldn't forget this ..

> wishing him the rest of mind the Alps could give him to pull this
> off :-)

me too ;-)

Reinhard