Berin Loritsch wrote:

The concept translates over to the adaptive cache approach at almost 1:1.
The actual individual cost sample is not important. It is the windowed average
that is important. For our cache a simple mean would best suit our problem
space. The size of the window for our samples will control how responsive
our cache control algorithm is. This would affect your cache prediction
algorithm as the value k is no longer needed to control responsiveness. The
value k can be set at 0, 1, or 0.5 depending on how you want to affect the
slope. IMO, the window size should be the determining factor at how the average
cost for a resource will converge toward the optimal point. Large window sizes
provide slower response, while a smaller window provides faster response.

BTW.  If we use "0" for the value of "k", then the cache prediction algorithm
as is defined by your "discriminate caching" sequence would be a purely
random result.  The c(eff) function would solve down to the constant 0.5,
and since we discriminate based on a randomly generated number being less
than the result of the function, we have a 50/50 chance (theoretically) that
the random number would be greater than 0.5.  I say theoretcially because
not all random number generators are truly random, or even mostly random.

If we use "1" for the value of "k", then the prediction algorithm follows
the efficiency value much better.  There is a higher chance of having a
higher number for the cache prediction, which means we will be evaluating
more entries.  In fact, as the value for "eff" reaches +/-38, we will always
be caching because the result of the equation will always be 1.

If we use "0.5" for the value of "k", then the prediction algorithm still
follows the efficiency value, but our range is now to +/-76.  The question
then is, where statistically will this efficiency algorithm be all the time?

I'm thinking about implementing the cache separately from cocoon to see if the math behind it works or not. If you have code to share, that would be wonderful (you can place it in the scratchpad if you want)

Ok. Let me package this later today. I have a meeting for the next 3 hours.

 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                - Benjamin Franklin