Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Relating this to the newly introduced virtual components, we can
> consider the view definition as a virtual serializer.
>
> Example :
> <map:serializers>
>   <map:serializer type="xml" src="oacs.XMLSerializer"/>
>   <map:serializer type="pretty-xml">
>     <map:transform type="xslt" src="xml2pretty.xsl"/>
>     <map:serialize type="xml"/>
>   </map:serializer>
> </map:serializers>
>
> <map:views>
>   <map:view name="content" from-label="content" serializer="xml"/>
>   <map:view name="pretty-content" from-label="content"
> serializer="pretty-xml"/>
> </map:views>

I like this, and while we're at it - I'd also like to see the ability to define
different views with the same name. I don't think this is possible at present. e.g.

<map:views>
   <map:view name="search" from-label="tei" serializer="tei-search"/>
   <map:view name="search" from-label="html" serializer="html-search"/>
   <map:view name="search" from-label="svg" serializer="svg-search"/>
</map:views>

When accessing a pipeline using a view called X, the pipeline processor could branch
off from the main pipeline at the FIRST label Y for which there exists a <map:view>
with @name="X" and @from-label="Y".

This would make it easy to define e.g. a "search" view of heterogeneous pipelines,
with different types of content. Typically the label attributes in the pipeline would
refer to the TYPE of the content at that stage in the pipeline.

Cheers

Con